About Me

My photo
Trying to survive and thrive.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Snow time Shopping and Saving

I saved $80.59 at Giant Eagle yesterday!

My best “score” was the Dannon yogurt at.20 cents each final price.

Now for the journey to savings and what I learned on that trip.

I had checked out the Giant Eagle ad when it arrived in the mail on Tuesday and saw that there were a number of Buy One Get One (BOGO) Free items as well as other items that I’d like to have on hand going on sale – usually there are things going on sale that I’d like to have but I usually only buy what I need. But I want to start to stock up on things so I wanted to strategically shop for what I want at low prices. This week there are a lot of meat items BOGO – so I knew I’d still be spending a decent amount of money – because 6 pork chops still costs about $7 and a shoulder roast is going to cost me $14 or thereabouts even if I am getting the second ones free.

I went to couponmom.com and check marked the items that were on sale and that I thought were at a low enough price to consider buying – especially if I knew I had a coupon for the item. A flaw I see at couponmom is that I knew I had coupons for some items that were not showing as having a current unexpired coupon associated with them. The ones I had were either from the online sites or from the manufacturer (example – Dole Fruit Jars – sale of $2.00 / no coupon available but I had a .75 cent coupon from a 4 pack of fruit bowls – and since GE doubles coupons under $1.00 I was going to pay only .50 for that jar of peaches the kids love so much. So even though coupon mom has a lot of good information on the sales and coupons it is still very important to rely on your own knowledge of what coupons you have available to you – and still check the online coupon sites for more.

So I made my list and printed it out – I then hit my coupon stash, I marked the list with the number of each item I wanted to buy based on the coupons I had and marked the list with the coupons that I had available on the items - I also added items to the list that were not on sale but that we needed – especially if I had a coupon. The coupon stash will need to become better organized but as its still pretty small it was reasonably easy to go through and cut out the ones that I needed. I used a cheap envelope (left over from a bill that I pay online) and put all of my coupons into it and got ready to go – in the snow!

Another lesson learned shortly after walking into the store. I need to re-write my list and organize my coupons based on the layout of the store that I am going to. The list printed from couponmom is sorted by coupon date not by any other sort of easy to follow system. I spent more time reminding myself what I had and where the items were than I would have liked to. Next time I will re-write the list according to my knowledge of where items are in the store – and I will sort the coupons in that order too.

The shopping itself went well – there were some items I decided not to buy at the store but I really don’t think I had any “impulse purchases” as I was on a mission to get my list shopped for and save the money.

I bought lots of stuff – as a matter of a fact I bought 84 items according to my receipt. I had a full cart which I almost never do because I’m “usually watching how much I spend”. As I was setting out to buy a number of meat items as well as “stock up” items I “allotted” myself about $120 to spend at the store (after coupons). Like I said earlier – BOGO meat still means buying one of each at full price.

Before store sales, BOGO items, coupons, discounts and doubled coupons (when available) my grocery bill was $193.12 (still lower than the woman in front of me – who bought a bunch of BOGO stuff but had no coupons) – after all of those discounts my out of pocket cost was $112.53 – saving $80.59 (42%). I was hoping to save 50% but I did not – but I’m still very happy with my shopping experience and savings. I think I told everyone at work that I managed to save $80 at the grocery store last night.

So what all did I buy? Pork Chops, Beef, Bacon, hot dogs, apples, frozen vegetables, frozen side dishes, betty crocker items, milk, engligh muffins, sea food, pop tarts, cereal, grilled meats, yogurt, and lots lots more J

AND I could have done better if I had had more coupons – if my stash went back further and if I had more copies of various ads.

So for next time:
Organize better before going to the store – could have saved at least half an hour in the store if I had been more organized
There is no such thing as too many copies of a coupon insert. Take ‘em from the trash at the coffee shop on Sundays if you need to.

Stay tuned and see how I do at Target and Wal Mart next...

1 comment:

  1. Well done, my friend. You are right, the computer helpers like couponmom are very valuable, but they can't catch all the deals. I usually use two per week (couponmom and Iheartpublix). Between the two, they catch most things, except my cut coupons which I rifle through each week. Your supermarket probably has a map of the store isle by isle, that may help you get your list together. Since I often shop with 100 or so coupons in hand, I divide them by section (produce/juice, baked goods,refrigerator section, freezer, etc) and gem clip these sections together. I then have two envelopes (using and not using), if I decide to use the coupon, I put the item in my buggy and the coupon in the used envelope. If I decide not to use the coupon, it goes in the other envelope. Once I run out of coupons, that means I move on to the next section. One major money saver since I starting couponing is that I no longer impulse shop. If it is not on sale or if I do not have a coupon or not on my short list, it does not get bought. An average shopping trips takes me less then 35 from door to door (with 4 y o in tow).
    So true, you never can have too many inserts, especially if you can get an item for free.
    Happy couponing, Cristina

    ReplyDelete