About Me

My photo
Trying to survive and thrive.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year - 2010 here I come

January 2, 2010

Okay - this is my new way of keeping track of my resolution to become a better shopper. By that I mean get more and spend less. Learning to use the sales and the coupons out there (and the internet) to save money for my family.

And I'm going to log how it is going and what I learn and hopefully you'll follow along and save some money too.

The amount of money our family spends on groceries, paper products, cleaning supplies, kids supplies, and just general "stuff" is amazing to me. Sure it's a lot less that we were paying in Hawaii (and coupons themselves were rare in Hawaii - never fear HI friends - I have hope for you as well) but it's still more than we have to spend - the deals are out there, I just have to find them.

We have all seen the "coupons queens" in line at the store. You know the ones, they have a whole cart worth of stuff and end up paying $22 for it when all is said and done. We hate them - and not because they're saving the money - but because we're jealous that they are so organized and they know how to keep all of those coupons in line and follow the sales and they save all of that money. We either don't have the time, the patience or discipline to do the same thing. Heck - they're so organized they get through the line with all of their stuff and coupons faster than some people can get their ID out when writing a check.

______________

Off and on for years I have used coupons and tried to buy things on sale. I've saved a few bucks here and there and feel good about doing so but I keep finding myself in a place where I end up running out of something and needed to go buy it and I end up paying full price. I want to learn to stock up on things I use regularly and not pay full price on them!

I figured there was some sort of system for keeping an eye on the ads and keeping track of the coupons but the amount of work involved seemed daunting. I'd just clip about every coupon that I thought I might need and then when I was shopping and found something that I needed or was on my list (or something on sale that I would soon need) I'd flip through my coupons and if I had one I'd use it and save some money. It works but it's not all that efficient. Sometimes on one trip I'd be flipping through tons of coupons multiple times (pulling my cart off to the side etc.) NO MORE!

Thanks to Facebook and reconnecting with a friend from High School I've learned some tips to learn and to share. Every once in a while this friend would post about huge savings on grocery trips and I would think "I have got to ask her how she does that". I finally asked her this past week and the amount of knowledge I have gained is amazing! That's why I'm going to write is all down, track it, link to it and share it as best I can.

Even using just a few of the tips and websites out there the savings are easy! In the past few days I've already saved noticeable amounts on items I was going to buy this week regardless of their cost. But with a little bit of time online and with the coupons before I left the house I've saved money - over 50% off the regular price of what I was shopping for.

The first things I've learned and will share are:

1. Save all of the coupons ads - intact - and keep them in order (date the cover page) - only clip the coupons when you are getting ready to do the shopping.

2. Get multiple copies of the coupon ads since often you have to buy more than one item to get the sale price at a store - may as well have a coupon for each item.

3. Internet Coupons
www.redplum.com and more

4. Visit the websites and blogs:
www.couponmom.com
http://bargainbriana.com
http://thecouponhigh.blogspot.com/

5. Get organized! (more on that to come)

That seems to be enough for day one of this blog.

I hope you come back and check on my progress - I plan on updating my savings, information and what I learn on a regular basis.

Aloha - Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment